Paleo Chicken Curry and Vegetables
As the days get darker earlier and the temperature drops, I find myself craving my Paleo chicken curry with vegetables. Not only is it packed with protein and vegetables, but I find the curry broth extra nourishing in the darkness of winter. With a tiny bit of heat, it is the perfect way to warm up in the dead of winter without indulging in sweets or refined carbohydrates!
This dish can be made on the stove top or in a slow-cooker. I will say, this dish gets better in time. A night in the fridge will give you a thicker and more flavorful broth the following day.
Start by preparing your vegetables. Rinse the broccoli and cut into small florets. Peel the sweet potato and slice into small bits. Dice the onion and garlic. In the photos you see, I used a Japanese sweet potato. They have a different color (white) than a normal sweet potato and a slightly sweeter taste. A normal sweet potato works just as well.
If you are cooking this recipe in a Crock Pot or other slow cooker, simply add all the ingredients listed below (chicken included!), and cook on low for 8 hours.
If you choose to cook it on the stove top, it takes a little bit more preparation. The recipe makes a lot of food, so I usually freeze the leftovers in small jars. It is perfect for the late Sunday nights when I am stressing thinking “what’s for lunch tomorrow at work?!” With the Paleo chicken curry with vegetables in my fridge, I can pull out an individually frozen jar Monday morning…no stress!
With the holidays fast approaching it is incredibly hard not to indulge with all the temptations-sugar, alcohol passed appetizers…you name it! I am a firm believer that in order to live a healthy life we cannot live entirely restricted. So my advice as the holidays approach is to find a healthy balance. If you have a night out where you eat and drink too much, make sure the next day you get a workout in, eat a lot of greens and healthy proteins. Another way to approach it is if you know you are going to have a more indulgent night, spend the day eating well (like this curry recipe!!) to balance out anything unhealthy.
What are your healthy holiday survival tips?
Chicken Curry and Vegetables
1 medium sweet potato, peeled + chopped (about 3 cups)
1 large broccoli crown, cut into florets (about 2 cups)
1/2 white onion, diced (about 1 cup)
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 (14.5 oz) cans coconut milk (I used one can of coconut milk and one can of coconut cream)
2 large organic chicken breasts
2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon freshly grated turmeric (or 1 teaspoon ground)
Salt and Pepper
2 tsp of curry powder
3 teaspoons coconut aminos
1/2-1 teaspoon chili flakes
1 cup of chicken broth (water works too)
For a slow-cooker
1. Rinse chicken breasts
2. Add all ingredients (including raw chicken) to a crock pot
3. Add 1 cup of water and stir until everything is fully incorporated
4. Cook on high for 3-4 hours. Slice/shred cooked chicken with a knife while in the slow cooker
For the stove top
1. Heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil in a large pot. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until translucent, about 2 minutes
2. Add sweet potato and broccoli, covering in the onion and garlic mixture
3. Continue to stir for about 5 minutes
4. Cut the raw chicken into small cubes and add to the vegetable mixtures
5. Add all of the liquid ingredients and spices to the mixture. Bring to a boil
6. Once the curry is at the boiling point, cover and reduce to a low simmer
7. Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour-the longer the simmer/the curry sits the more flavorful it will be!